Saturday, October 2, 2010

Renaissance Fairs, Oh My

I love going to period history festivals. There, I said it! I love these people. They are fearlessly embracing what can only be called a lifestyle. They dress in costumes, speak in phony accents to strangers, and walk about through some field as if it were the most natural thing to do.

Be aware; many of these costumed citizens have created their own garb, and probably invested small fortunes in time and talent getting the details just right. And yet I just can't get past it. Forgive me, but not a one of them is datable. Sure there's cleavage enough to embarrass a night club owner. But then there's the rest. I will refrain from the details, but seriously, would it kill someone to floss?

There are people, I found out, who get the creeps from costume fairs. I don't especially understand that one, but I can see where some of the creepiness can seep into a phobia.

I don't sound much like a defender of the lifestyle, but I kid out of love. There are some courageous folks in those fields.

Good Morrow, Good People!

3 comments:

DB Stewart said...

I'm a teacher but I rarely have to supervise kids under age 13. Anyway, I was supervising outside during noon hour the other day and I kept thinking, what do these K-Grade 4 kids remind me of? I closed my eyes and then it occured to me: this sounds just like some sort of Medieval type fair (including the jousting). Either that or Lord of the Flies.

aablythe said...

True enough. I teach middle school kids, and they do bear a resemblance to the fair crowd, especially their awkward social encounters.

Unknown said...

I definitely love those fairs! It's the "Renaissance Fair" 'round here. I thought it was so funny that you said not one of them was datable. Ha! Every time I think of that fair, I just remember that my son rode an elephant. An elephant!