Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What Gordon Ramsay has taught me about restaurants


I really enjoy watching Gordon Ramsay's cooking shows. When he releases his fury into the faces of prospective top chefs, restaurant owners, cooks, and hapless managers, he breaks our social structure and gets away with it. But what I have learned from the shows isn't about yelling and cursing. What follows are a few notes on food and eating that Chef Ramsay has taught me.

"It's Raw!" If undercooked food is leaving a kitchen, send it back, then leave the place for your own safety.

"It's Disgusting and Dirty." Dirty plates, utensils, glasses, etc. are also a great indicator of a place you don't need to be eating in. Run away.

"Is the crab cake made with fresh crab?" Apparently everyone from the chef to the server will lie if you ask this question. If you're not in a restaurant situated on a bay or ocean, you should probably assume the crab cakes have been frozen. What a shame.

"This Risotto looks like baby vomit." Risotto, apparently, is difficult to cook properly. Not sure I would feel good about ordering it.

"Scallops" Oh my. So many bad scallops tossed into trash bins- it makes you wonder if anyone has ever cooked them before.

"Pasta" Make it fresh. End of discussion.

Finally, if you ever cook something to be served to others, taste it before it gets served. Taste it, and do it over if it isn't right.

Cheers!

3 comments:

aablythe said...

Thanks, montanna.

Andy Shepherd said...

I've learned that my palette is most likely not sophisticated enough to actually enjoy fine dining, and to stick with the ramen and frozen pizza options.

Unknown said...

I don't think I'll ever eat risotto again.