- Focus on your goal. When something is important to you, such as eating the brains of the living, or maybe getting a promotion at work, let nothing else distract you from the task.
- Don't be discouraged. Even when others around you have failed, keep going. No matter how many before you have had their heads skewered by the naysayers of life, you still must persevere.
- Communication is best when succinct. Too much time is often wasted on flowery messages. Let others know what you're after with short, memorable key ideas.
- Never be complacent. You've made it. You're resting on your achievements, but then, shambling out from the woods, there's more of the competition waiting to bite you.
- Accuracy is essential. Never waste your efforts. Be precise. You can't afford to miss.
- Trust in yourself; respect the rest. You never know what the other guy might do, even within your own team. Know your abilities, and and rely on others, but don't ever take trust for granted.
- Adapt, Improvise, Overcome. When your situation changes, don't be overwhelmed. Use what you can all around you. Even a broken chair might be more useful than you ever thought.
- Teamwork is effective under strong leadership. Once you take on the role of a leader, others will look to you for leadership. Simple, but true. Leaders must be willing and able to lead through every crisis. This means having the ability to delegate responsibilities to those whose strengths you have recognized. Doing it all alone leads to high stress and can create mental exhaustion.
- Take advice from the team. Sometimes the wisdom to lead has to be supported by wisdom from the team. Even the most brilliant leaders surround themselves with trusted advisers.
- Know what you're fighting for. The struggle doesn't matter unless you know why you're engaged in it. More than anything else, your knowledge of why you fight will keep you aware, sharp, and successful for another day.
Sunday, December 2, 2012
What Zombies Have Taught Me
From one of the most original and dramatic graphic novels in recent memory to one of the best television programs on any network, there are lessons to be learned.