Saturday, August 21, 2010

Hosting For Family

I just drove my aunt and cousin back to Chicago's O'Hare Airport for their return trip to Germany. They were with us for four weeks. My aunt stayed with my parents mainly, and my cousin, who is sixteen, stayed with us.

Lauren is a great girl! She has many gifts and talents, but I can say she also has reminded me that we are not perfect. Using Lauren's memory to prod me along, I promise that I will never leave my clothes on the floor again, nor leave evidence of my eating habits anywhere beyond the kitchen. What a great reminder that a door to a room does not create an alternate universe, invisible to those who may happen past.

She introduced several novel concepts to my children, all under age ten. Piercings, other than the ears, smoking, and wearing very form-fitting clothes. My youngest daughter summed these odd new traits up nicely with the casual, "that's weird" comment.

I love my family, and I will do anything for them all. Living with someone for four weeks, though, can make you appreciate the farewell a bit more. I hope we all can spend time with each other again. Hopefully it will not be a matter of years.

Auf wiedersehen! Until I see you again.

No comments: