Sunday, August 29, 2010

Panera, working for bread

I'm sitting at Panera trying to work with the free wifi they offer. For some reason the server I am accessing remotely, my work server, is quite slow. So I have turned to people watching for a few minutes.

There are so many people who probably would behave differently if they only realized someone was paying attention to their actions, even if only for a minute. I glanced at a girl who has decided to drink her smoothie with her hands in her lap. It gives the impression that she is somehow tied up. Perhaps her hands are handcuffed under the table. She could be in transit to some security facility, and the couple with her is a pair of federal marshals entrusted with her transfer. She is quite perky for a prisoner, but who knows?

Other folks have come in only to make me wonder if they really knew they would be entering a public gathering place. Did they leave the house wearing their clothes that they wore while cleaning their bathroom? Perhaps they were sleepwalking and arrived at home only to wonder how a spinach quiche in a paper bag appeared on the kitchen table.

Beautiful people are here as well. Most people are, really, but few have learned how to manifest their beauty and pair it with inner confidence. A shame, because the endless variety of humanity is part of our innate fascination with each other.

Well, let's see if the server at work is any quicker yet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I laughed out loud at the part about the girl who just may or may not be handcuffed. Ha! I'm still laughing at the thought of a girl drinking her smoothie that way. Maybe she's showing off. You, dear sir, may need your hands near your glass to balance yourself, but I have such terrific balance, I can hover over the table, sip my smoothie and not fall. Maybe she should join Cirque du Soleil? Great post! Keep it up!

aablythe said...

Thanks, Kelley. Now that I think about it, I was looking away when the hands-free girl and company left the store. I saw them in the lot after they were already in the car. I guess I'll never know for sure.