Monday, August 30, 2010

Shut up, I'm sexy.

Teaching middle school in an urban school district has its moments of humor. Hard to believe as that is, I will share one or two as proof.

I have a young girl who looks, I swear I say this not to be mean, like the illegitimate child of Craig Robinson, only with purple and brown braids and weave. You may remember Craig from "the Office" or perhaps "Hot Tub Time Machine," or even "Last Comic Standing." OK, so you are imagining the right face.

So one day recently, before I knew names, the girl in question walked in the room in mid argument with someone else. She declared in the doorway, "shut up, I look sexy." Then she proceeded to suck on her index finger for the rest of class. The outburst happened the day after she got her new braids and weave. She missed school the day before to get it done, so I suppose she'd better feel good about it. Someone at home dropped a bundle for it.

Self confidence is all you need.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay!! You are posting more! This cracked me up. I can totally see the face & the index finger sucking, unfortunately. Thanks so much for that image!

aablythe said...

Thanks, Kelley. I always do better when I know someone else with skills might be reading it.